The Eureka Copper Canyon LX 12 person tent is an easy-to-use, well-ventilated three-season tent with plenty of headroom.
The Eureka Tetragon NX 5 person tent is a three-season dome tent that comfortably fits a family or group of friends with plenty of room left for gear and your camping knick-knacks.
Comfort and Space
With a floor size of 108 in x 108 in (274 cm x 274.3 cm) over a total area of 81 ft² / 7.5 m², the Eureka Tetragon NX 5-person tent is roomy enough for a group of people and gear.
With roughly 16.2 square feet / 1.5 square meters per person, it allows for comfortable shoulder room and can hold 5 sleeping pads.
The peak height of 6 feet / 182cm means many folks can stand up and move around or change in the tent! However, like any dome tent, the sloping walls sacrifice a fair bit of space around the sides.
There are two storage pockets and a gear loft on the roof, but no vestibules, which means you’ll have to find another spot for your muddy boots and shoes if you run into wet weather.
There could also be more storage pockets considering that the tent is meant for a group or family. You don’t want to be reaching across someone to reach your phone or headlamp!
Breathability and Ventilation
The tent is surrounded by mesh windows which are 40D polyester no-see-um netting, which promotes excellent air circulation in the tent. In addition, the hooded rainfly promotes airflow right into the tent, and the single door has a generous mesh area to keep the air circulating and the bugs out.
However, the rainfly doesn’t extend to the ground and can let in wind on cold nights, so the interior might get chilly. On hot nights, you might want to think about leaving the rainfly off to star-gaze and let in some wind.
The Eureka Tetragon NX 5-person tent is a three-season tent best suited for spring, summer, and fall.
The hooded rainfly of the tent provides excellent waterproof protection even in heavy downpours. The “bathtub” floor of the tent is designed in a way that provides protection from splashing and standing water, and the tent’s dome shape doesn’t allow water to pool on the roof.
However, this tent was manufactured solely to be used in mild weather, so you should avoid using it in windy places and harsh weather conditions.
This tent is manufactured for years of reliable use, and high-quality materials are used with reinforced stitching and solid seams.
The rainfly, floor, and the overall body of the tent are composed of 63D 190T polyester taffeta that will hold up well to moisture. The mesh is made of 40D polyester no-see-um and will keep all the bugs out, compared to other tents with regular mesh that might let the littlest ones in.
The main fiberglass poles are 11mm thick while the fly poles are 9.5mm. Fiberglass is commonly used in more affordable tents due to its cheaper price but is more flimsy compared to aluminum.
The tent doesn’t stretch after getting wet but should be stored clean and dry.
Ease Of Use
The Eureka Tetragon NX 5-person tent has an external frame and these types of tents are generally easier to set up.
The instructions to set up the tent are sewn into the carrying bag.
Here’s how you set up the Eureka Tetragon NX 5-person tent:
- Remove the tent and unroll it from the bags. Take stock of what you have; you should have stakes, tent poles, fly poles, the tent itself, and the rainfly.
- Set up the tent poles
- Find the webbings on the four corners that have the ring and pin and connect it to the tent poles on diagonal ends.
- Lift the frame and attach all the tent clips to the poles.
- Make sure you clip the peak to the top. Once the tent is up, you can then stake down the four corners.
- Now set up the rainfly. Remove the fly and place it on the ground with the underside up.
- Take the fly poles and place them in the pole pockets. Contrary to the tent poles, the fly poles should be placed parallel.
- Once the rainfly is ready, you can place it over the body of the tent
- Attach the hook and loop fasteners found on the underside of the rainfly around the tent poles. There should be eight of them.
- Stake the guylines and you’re done!
One person can set up this tent, but because of its size and bulk, two people might make the job easier and more enjoyable.
Packed Size and Weight
The overall packed size of the tent is 6.5 in x 27 in (17 cm x 69 cm) and weighs 11 lbs 15 oz / 5.4 kg. In comparison, the similar Alps Mountaineering Taurus 5 outfitter tent has a packed size of 9 x 27 inches and a weight of 13 pounds and 5 ounces.
The Tetragon NX5 is more portable and easier to transport around considering it is lighter, but it is better suited for those who have some kind of access to a car.
The tent is easy to store and it comes with a carry bag that you can store it in when you are not using it.
Pros and Cons
- Lightweight and easy to carry around for a tent of this size
- Relatively affordable for the features this tent offers
- Hooded rainfly helps to keep the tent cool and protects the door from the wet
- Easy to set up and disassemble
- Durable and long-lasting
- Only for mild weather
- Dome-shape tents reduces living area
- No vestibule, which means your boots have to find another spot during wet weather
|Comfort and Space||7.5|
|Ease of Setup||8|
|Size and Weight||8|